Thursday, May 04, 2006

Dog wake me up. Dog be gone!

Another beautiful day, another day spent around the house b/c my leg hurts and I don't want to strain it any more than necessary by getting out and seeing sights. Sigh.
I shouldn't sound so down - I'm really not; I just am bummed that I can't go around the island w/ Aub during these 3 days off. We wanted to go to several beaches and see the really cool big gajumaru tree whose pic I have previously posted, we wanted to go see friends at their houses, etc. And I guess Aub isn't feeling too great these days either but at least now she can get some rest and hopefully get over the hump.
Our new house had lousy screens on the windows and doors - literally all but 2 of them had big gaping holes in them. A guy took 'em off and then came back 5 days later to put 'em back on w/ new screens, but they do NOT get along well w/ the tracks and keep falling off. I'd say that rates about a 6/10 on the Annoyance Scale.

In other news, we are going to a BBQ party w/ the Tokumotos tonight that promises to be nice, provided we don't get carried off by the wind and deposited into the sea. Not that we're particularly close to the sea, but the wind is strong today.
I have just finished reading Early Christian Doctrines by JND Kelly and have almost burned my way thru a book dealing w/ 3 views on the compatibility of Eastern Orthodoxy and Evangelicalism. The guy who said they are compatible had some interesting points but they weren't compelling enough.
I may have mentioned that our Internet service is constantly choppy these days. Don't know why, but it'll sometimes just turn itself off. Like right now, I'm unable to post on my blog; I'll have to post what I'm typing later. Annoying. And I can't talk to the Internet people to ask for some of my (pretty expensive) monthly fee back b/c it's a holiday. Come Monday, though, watch out. I'll be nice at first, I promise.
Speaking of which, since we're in a new house, we have new neighbors. Or rather, the neighbors have a new neighbor. And just behind our house's backyard is another backyard where lives a dog. Said dog enjoys long walks on the beach, candlelight dinners, and barking and whining up a storm at 4:30 am. Said dog woke us up one too many times on Tuesday so Wednesday night I went to the neighbors' house, armed w/ a dictionary and having memorised the Japanese words for "to bark," "muzzle," "snout," and "tie up/restrain." You get where I'm going w/ this? :-) Anyway, I was very very nice and so were they. Told them their dog woke us up and it wasn't the 1st time and could they puh-leeze do sthg about it. They were scratching their heads, wondering what to do, when I asked them if the dog never woke THEM up. They cocked their heads to the side as Japanese often do and chuckled - oh yes, said dog apparently rather often wakes them up in the middle of the night. But I would imagine that I'm the only person who's ever objected to such things. Funny how common sense ain't so common. Anyway, it turns out that they decided to take the dog over to Grandpa's house farther away. So we heard them lead the dog over there, still going crazy, but we slept much better the next day. Perhaps Grandpa is hard of hearing. Perhaps nobody in Grandpa's neighborhood will complain. My money's on the latter.

1 comment:

Fr. David said...

"almost burned my way thru a book dealing w/ 3 views on the compatibility of Eastern Orthodoxy and Evangelicalism. The guy who said they are compatible had some interesting points but they weren't compelling enough."

Saw this book in a Lifeway store and skimmed it. I agree w/you on the "not compelling enough" argument. I think the harder-line Evangelical and Orthodox writers were more honest in their appraisals of the differences between your confession and mine.

You like JND's book?