Sunday, August 20, 2006

Cars

The Internet is finally installed in our apartment in Norman and we're kind of moved in. Several errands remain, including the one in-progress on the floor of the master bdrm, which is reinforcing the 90-degree joints of Aubrey's old bookshelf. It's a good shelf and it was made by Aubrey's dad for her mom, so it has great sentimental value. But it's been leaning alarmingly to either side when the full weight of many books is placed upon it. Fortunately, I am armed and dangerous w/ a power drill and some wood screws. Watch out - I kind of know what I'm doing!

Back to work, week 1, wasn't bad, really. It *was* boring, that's for sure. I don't like just listening in to other people's convos on the phone and not knowing quite what to do. And I don't like having a workstation PC that only kind of works. And I don't like kind of being in no-man's-land as to what I'm doing this afternoon or whatever. Also, lab training was kind of boring, just b/c it's like there's only so much you can do before you want to actually put what you did to use. But you can't - it's just formatting, configuring, and erasing hard drives, and then doing it again differently. And a few softwares to learn. So overall, it was getting old when 5 pm on Friday rolled around.


The car I bought (a 93 Infiniti G20) has several kind of minor problems w/ it. Chief among them is the A/C that blows hot air. I thought it was OK but I took it to the shop for an estimate. $1200 to repair the thing. Ouch. And that doesn't cover the driver's side window that doesn't roll down, the dashboard backlight that doesn't illuminate, and the stereo that sounds terrible. Guess I made kind of a bad choice in picking this car, sorry to say. I'm considering taking it back to try to get a refund but I'm not optimistic. Considering just doing the repair and eating the finance charges. Considering selling the car to a 3rd party and trying to find a new one. A bit stressful, to be sure.
But today at church, someone who is a friend but not among my close friends offered me a free car that his parents are giving to him but which he doesn't need. Well, I'm praising God for it right now b/c that's exactly what we need. And the A/C works too! So I think I'll end this post on a positive note, as opposed to many I do. Praise God for the way He provides for His children, and for the communion of saints!

2 comments:

Ka Ki said...

hey that's awesome that God provide this car. I'm glad. God is so good to his children. Just got back from Debbie's concert and hope can share more soon. But, I better hop into my bed and fall asleep right away now,as I need to go church tomorrow morning. miss you, brother! 2:10am

Anonymous said...

Bro Rhology,please iam happy that at least you have come with the main ambition of helping my church with a car.PLEASE go ahead and help .I have seen your cars and im sure hear in kenya ,any of it will do well.GOD WILL BLESS YOU AHSANTE SANA.