Friday, February 18, 2011

Notes from my reading of the Qur'an

I recently finished reading the Muhsin Khan translation of the Qur'an.  I am glad to have done so, and I'm perhaps happier to be finished!  I took copious notes during my reading, looking for various topics of interest to me, and as requested I will share the notes here.

Of particular interest should be the topic of Jihad and compulsion in religion as well as the Biblical allusions.  I come away from my reading of the Qur'an even more convinced that Islam is intellectually and spiritually bankrupt.  Perhaps the single most striking portion of the book was Surah 4:159:
And there is none of the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians), but must believe in him ['Iesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary), as only a Messenger of Allah and a human being], before his ['Iesa (Jesus) or a Jew's or a Christian's] death (at the time of the appearance of the angel of death). And on the Day of Resurrection, he ['Iesa (Jesus)] will be a witness against them.

My notes on that aya are as follows:
S4.159 all must believe in Jesus. Astonishingly it says that Jesus will be a witness against Christians at judgment day. Imagine that - Islam turns Jesus into the judge and avenger against Christians!  Thus is truly Antichrist.
There were numerous "Whoa" moments for me in my reading, but that one remains the most memorable.

3 comments:

George said...

The Holy Quran which was revelated on the Holy Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) 1400 years back is still a fully fledged book of guidance for those who ponder and understand the true essence of God Almighty’s teachings to mankind.

Rhology said...

Then George, if you think that, let me recommend you read my notes on the Biblical Allusions, Taurat, and Injil. That is an impossible position to hold.

Johnny said...

when talking to Muslims, I love to point out the similarities between the coming Isa and the bibical antichrist. another good example is to point out how Jesus said not to believe if someone says "he is here or there" then point to the islamic jesus