Thursday, May 10, 2012

Why didn't you just say so?

Justin Lee, the executive director of The Gay Christian Network, wrote an article about the recent North Carolina amendment that affirmed the traditional marriage structure. I decided to comment a few times.

As I was finding my comments engaged by a number of people, most of whom are anti-traditional marriage, I responded.
Strangely, after a few comments, Justin stepped in to remind all commenters that he would be enforcing the use of "kind and gracious language". Fair enough.
However, he specifically identified a comment of mine as violating that standard, which he deleted without warning.
This comment was in response to this:

After my position on Amendment One changed, my pastor's attitude toward me changed.  He hated me, though as a Christian he would deny that.  My own family saw it on full display when he called me one night to rant about a facebook post I had made.  He was on speakerphone (bluetooth picks up automatically in the car) and what my son and husband heard shocked them both.
Pastor never apologized, and started treated my teen son with the same cold shoulder.  We stopped going to church.  And you know what? That pastor doesn't care.  We can go to hell for all he cares. Literally. 
I criticised this pastor in the comment box, calling him "shallow" and charging that he did not love the Gospel (for someone who truly loves the Gospel, let alone a godly pastor, would never respond in that way, and would never be uncaring about whether someone goes to Hell or act like it). I figured this would be a welcome comment from a "conservative" to the anti-traditionalists in the combox. I certainly don't condone such behavior, especially not from a pastor. Justin, however, said that I had violated his standard.

He later specified that he didn't want the debates to be on the topic of the NC Amendment anymore, so I told him OK, and stopped for several hours. As more anti-traditionalists continued to comment unchallenged by Justin, and to respond to my previously-placed comments, again unchallenged by Justin, I decided to respond to a few of them. Of course I did not agree with these; else why even bother commenting? Justin, however, again deleted one of my comments without warning even though my contact info is easily obtainable.

I therefore left this comment, realising where this was headed:
Guess you weren't willing to be consistent in your application of the delete hammer. Plenty of ppl are discussing the issue, you are only deleting those who disagree with you. Kid yourself all you want about being above it all, Justin. You're about the same as most all the other "gay Christians" - you only care about hearing your own side talk. Enjoy your blinkered, narrow existence.
Ta ta.
Obviously this one was deleted, and then my ability to comment was blocked.
Here is some text from Justin's original post:
Taking the time to see things from the other side’s perspective is important because it’s the way of Jesus. But it’s also important for the very practical reason that it’s the only real way to change minds. You can’t change people’s minds—or their voting habits, or the way they treat people—if you don’t have any clue why they disagree with you to begin with, or if you think that it’s just because they’re inherently bigoted/hateful/wicked people.
And here are some snippets of comments he has let remain in the combox, even after I called attention to them in an email to him.

They choose to believe that sexuality is a choice because otherwise, they have to face what they've done: Forced children to suicide, created an environment where gay people can be assaulted and murdered, and done everything they have done out of hate and fear.
You can try your utmost to educate them, but it won't get through to them any more than evolution has, because the moment they stop believing it's a choice, they have to face that they are BAD PEOPLE. (Source)

You are not loving your neighbor. You are abusing them and I am no longer as a Christian going to allow you to speak for Scripture and speak for God. You are hurting gay children, you are hurting gay men and women and while I'm sure you would *never* intend to do that, you refuse to accept responsibility for your impact on them. (Source)
If Christianity (as you understand it) requires Christians to act in a certain way, then they should be expected to do so... because they believe, and because it's a matter of faith. But to *require* others to act as you think they should, when they aren't Christian, and don't agree... or when they are Christian, and don't agree... is not faith. It's religious totalitarianism. (Source)

You be the judge - are these the actions of a truly tolerant person, who wants to hear both sides, even if it leads to disagreement?
No, of course not. Once again, we see that the anti-traditional marriage folks don't want to listen to honest dialogue from people who really believe each side. Rather, they prefer openness from the anti-traditionalist side of things, and they want the other side to shut up. Of course it's inconsistent and hypocritical, but if you dare point it out, you're a bigot, intolerant, and evil.

Further, I daresay that these are not the actions of someone who is intent on honoring Jesus Christ with all his thoughts and loving Him with all his mind. Justin claims to be a "gay Christian". The obvious impossibility of that aside, his actions cast this in doubt all by themselves.

2 comments:

bossmanham said...

You can just feel the tolerance and grace dripping off these guys.

Truth Unites... and Divides said...

Yo Rho,

I've seen this behavior by lots of professing Christians, not just the GLBT professing Christians.

Very one-sided moderating behavior despite claims of being fair-minded. It's so hypocritical.