Friday, June 29, 2012

Absolutely not


  • John M Thank you Karen. Hitler carrying out "Gods will" has no relevance to what you believe. That was kind of what I was getting at in terms of irrelevance. Hitler is not relevant to this issue. Neither is MLK honestly.
  • Rhology John,

    Why would anyone be bothered by the fact that Adolf Hitler had a false belief (that false belief being that his conduct was in accordance with the will of the Creator)?
  • Rhology Pagans like Hitler have a lot of false beliefs, incidentally. http://rhoblogy.blogspot.com/2007/10/hitler-christian.html2 hours ago 
  • John M You couldn't prove his actions weren't in accordance with the creator any more than he could prove your actions aren't in accordance with the creator. Thats because youre both using the same unaccounted for god concept to justify your beliefs.
  • Rhology Yes, I can.
    What does "unaccounted-for God concept" mean?
  • Rhology And if he can't prove it, then why isn't the Christians' complete disavowal of Hitler as a Christian completely valid?
  • John M God, the way your religion describes him, cannot be demonstrated. Only asserted.

    It's valid, but hypocritical, because youre doing the same thing as he is (claiming you know the will of a god that can't be demonstrated).
  • Rhology ‎\\God, the way your religion describes him, cannot be demonstrated. Only asserted. \\

    As a matter of fact, this is completely wrong.
    www.proofthatgodexists.org

    \\It's valid, but hypocritical, because youre doing the same thing as he is (claiming you know the will of a god that can't be demonstrated).\\

    I don't see how it's hypocritical. If both of us make statements that can't be verified (just for the sake of your argument), don't Christians get to define our own position and what it means to be a member of our group?
    Can I say "I'm an atheist and I believe that there are millions of gods and that science is bunk"? Would that be consistent and rational?

  • John M I don't know if absolute truth exists ---> Absolutely true/false? I don't know if not knowing if absolute truth exists is absolute. I wonder if the next question would be is not knowing whether you don't know if absolute truth exists absolute? Probably, but that would ruin the whole false dichotomy. Fun word game though.
  • Rhology ‎\\I don't know if not knowing if absolute truth exists is absolute.\\

    Then you are not getting it, and that's sad.
    Is it absolutely true that you don't know if not knowing if absolute truth exists is absolute?

    Think hard.
  • John M I don't know if it's absolute that I don't know. I already said that. We can't account for absolutes with our current capabilities, and probably will never be able to. You can say they exist, but it's merely an assertion.
  • Rhology is it absolutely true that you don't know if it's absolute that you don't know?

    is it absolutely true that we can't account for absolutes with our current capabilities?

    Is it absolutely true that it's merely an assertion?
  • John M I don't know. I'll let you know when I have absolute knowledge.
  • Rhology Is it absolutely true that you don't know?
  • John M  And thats the hole in your argument. You can't get anywhere unless you get me to concede that I know things absolutely. How can I verify whether or not what I know is absolute?

    Fun game though.
  • Rhology ‎\\And thats the hole in your argument\\

    Is that absolutely true?
    If you don't, why did you say it?

    \\You can't get anywhere unless you get me to concede that I know things absolutely\\

    Is that absolutely true?
    If you don't, why did you say it?

    \\How can I verify whether or not what I know is absolute? \\

    You can't. Unless Jesus is Lord, there is no way to do so. That's the point of the website, actually.
    All these foolish things you keep saying - they are more and more demonstration of the utter absurdity of your worldview.
  • John M  We can account for absolutes only through the unverified divinity of a man named Jesus from 2000 years ago. Got it.
  • Rhology You think that mocking dismissals count as substantive argumentation. Got it.

No comments: