Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Baweeted from TeamPyro

I just wanted to ask a question, but my comment was baweeted.
Judge for yourself whether my comment, which follows below, was "intentionally derailing", as DJP unfairly put it. 


If I may, I'd like to call attention to the fact that the following verses cited in DJP's article are talking about the INVISIBLE church, not the local church.
Eph 4:4-5 and 7, 5:23 and 25, and Jn 8:31-32; 17:17, 21, 23

Eph 4:11 is about ministry among believers, not specifically the local church.

I'd like to see more exegesis showing that Eph 4:15-16 is referring to the local church rather than the invisible church, say, Christians in a particular locality who are joining together to do something.

2 Tim 4:1-6 is presumably about most anyone who would speak in God's name, regardless of location or context.

Matt 28:18-20 is indistinct, since the invisible church at that time was the visible church.

These are some things on which I've been ruminating. I'd be interested in y'alls' thoughts. Be gentle; sometimes a question is a real question.

Grace and peace,
Rhology 

Methinks sometimes Frank and Dan need to re-evaluate how they deal with people. I'm unaware of any history I have forged of being an unrepentant troll at that blog.

Deleting my comment is a little harsh, ISTM. I don't see how it's irrelevant, either. I didn't question the veracity or inspiration of the Bible. I questioned DJP's interpretation, and how he used texts about the invisible church to refer to the local visible church without qualification or explanation of how he got from one to the other, especially since the point of his article was to draw a distinction between local visible churches and other gatherings of Christians (ie, other manifestations of the invisible church).

Anyway, if those are such basic questions that he doesn't want to deal with them, that's his prerogative since it's his blog. But since it was his mistake, I thought he might want to explain how he got from here to there.

Just doing my part to help peel back traditions and get to what Scripture teaches, so that we recognise traditions for what they are and can properly assess whether they're good or bad, in light of Scripture. But not everyone wants to do that in every area...

1 comment:

Shane Dodson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.