Tuesday, June 21, 2005

What a Durbinhead

As if one needed more proof that most Americans do not pay attention to what their politicians say and/or feel cut off from the national political process by and large, Dick Durbin, the 2nd-highest ranking Democrat in the US Senate, said this recently:

[politically-motivated diatribe] If I read this to you and did not tell you that it was an FBI agent describing what Americans had done to prisoners in their control, you would most certainly believe this must have been done by Nazis, Soviets in their gulags, or some mad regime -- Pol Pot or others -- that had no concern for human beings. [/politically-motivated diatribe]

Amazing.
I have to tell you - I canNOT abide jokes about the Holocaust. Jews in ovens, Germans being great at mass murder, whatever - when people start making jokes about that, I leave. Yes, maybe I should stick around and ask the offenders to stop... that is possible. Either way, I can't take it. It is too degrading to the horror that was the Holocaust, Stalin's gulags, Pol Pot's murderous reign, etc. And this is a high-ranking Senator...
You know, you can say stupid stuff. That's fine. You shouldn't lose your job for that. But to say this? Illinoisans would do well to start a ballot initiative. But they won't.

"Never again," huh? I, for one, do not believe that for one instant.

No comments: